How long does it take to get a degree in HVAC?
Programs for HVAC technicians typically range in length from six months to 2 years. MIAT College of Technology offers an HVACR Technician certificate program that can be completed in as few as 9 months by full time students, assuming no interruption in training. The HVACR program from MIAT College of Technology is designed to cover the skills needed to begin a career in air conditioning, ventilation, heating and refrigeration.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Degree in HVAC?
The length of HVAC programs usually vary in time depending on the topics covered and whether the school also requires additional core education credits. Traditional college programs take 2 to 4 years to complete and apprenticeships often last 3 to 5 years. MIAT College of Technology’s 9-month program is focused on the key elements an HVAC technician needs to begin their career.
MIAT College of Technology provides a focused program that covers the following topics:
- Schematics Use and Interpretation
- Tool Introduction and Application
- Piping and Fitting Basics
- Sheet Metal and Fiberglass Ductwork
- Air Handling and Hydronics
- AC and DC Circuits and Components
- Heating Fundamentals
- Vent System Selection and Installation
- Air Conditioning
- Mechanical and Electronic Controls Troubleshooting
- Load Calculations
- Inspection and Documentation
- Customer Relations
HVACR Technician Certifications
During the 9-month certificate program, MIAT HVACR Technician students will gain the following certifications:
- EPA Universal Refrigerant Handling Certification including Core, Type I, Type II, Type III, of the Federal Clean Air Act Section – 608 (EPA examinations administered by ESCO on campus)
- EEO Respect and Anti-Harassment
- North American Technician Excellence (NATE) Core exams
- R 410a
- OSHA 10 General construction.
If you would like to find out how you can begin your career as an HVAC technician in as few as 9 months, ask for a campus tour at MIAT College of Technology Houston or Canton campus.
For immediate questions, give us a call!
Canton, MI (Main Campus): 800-447-1310
Houston, TX (Branch Campus): 888-547-7047
For more information about our graduation rates and other important information, please view our disclosures at: https://miat.edu/disclosures.