MIAT College of Technology Among Top-Tier Michigan Schools for Veteran Students & Their Families
This month MIAT School of Technology received GOLD standing as a Veteran-Friendly School by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA). The Michigan Veteran-Friendly School program recognizes academic institutions of higher learning committed to supporting the needs of student veterans and dependents.
“These rankings make it simple for veterans and their dependents to identify schools throughout Michigan that are committed to supporting them and helping them succeed,” said MVAA Director Jeff Barnes. “Through the Veteran-Friendly School program, veterans will know exactly what services are available to them when they walk onto campus, so they never have to feel alone.”
The gold, silver or bronze rankings are determined by the number of services a school offers to student veterans. Program criteria includes:
- On-campus veteran\’s coordinator and/or staffed veterans center
- Active student-operated veteran association
- Established process for the identification of current student veterans
- Evaluation and awarding of credit for military training and experience
- Veteran-specific website/portal
- Monitoring and evaluation of student veteran academic retention, completion and graduation rates
- Monitoring and evaluation of student veteran job placement rates
To achieve Gold standing, schools must display six or more of the above services. MIAT offers all 7 of the sought-after services for student veterans.
Barnes says “veterans attending these institutions have a variety of services and resources available to them as they begin the next chapter of their lives.”
The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) is a state government agency housed within Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. It serves as the central coordinating point for Michigan veterans, and connects them to services and benefits throughout the state.
Head to our Veterans & Military page to learn more about how MIAT can serve you, or [getinfo]get more information[/getinfo] by filling out our quick and easy request form.